Max Verstappen will start the Styrian Grand Prix from pole position after a dominant performance in qualifying at the Red Bull Ring.
He’ll be joined on the front row by Lewis Hamilton despite Valtteri Bottas setting the second best time, as the Finn picked up a three-place grid penalty for a mistake in the pitlane in practice.
McLaren’s Lando Norris starts ahead of Sergio Perez, with the Briton having looked fast throughout qualifying, but his teammate Daniel Ricciardo struggled, dropping out in Q2.
Both AlphaTauri drivers made in into Q3, but Charles Leclerc was the only Ferrari in the top 10, as Carlos Sainz struggled with track limits.
It was also a strong qualifying for Williams, with Nicholas Latifi narrowly missing out on a spot in Q2, before George Russell was denied a place in the top 10 shootout by just 0.008s.
Esteban Ocon was among those dropping out in the first session, but teammate Fernando Alonso found strong pace around the Red Bull Ring to clinch P9.
Provisional qualifying result:
1 Max Verstappen (Red Bull)
2. Valtteri Bottas (Mercedes)*
3. Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes)
4. Lando Norris (McLaren)
5. Sergio Perez (Red Bull)
6. Pierre Gasly (AlphaTauri)
7. Charles Leclerc (Ferrari)
8. Yuki Tsunoda (AlphaTauri)
9. Fernando Alonso (Alpine)
10. Lance Stroll (Aston Martin)
11. George Russell (Williams)
12. Carlos Sainz (Ferrari)
13. Daniel Ricciardo (McLaren)
14. Sebastian Vettel (Aston Martin)
15. Antonio Giovinazzi (Alfa Romeo)
16. Nicholas Latifi (Williams)
17. Esteban Ocon (Alpine)
18. Kimi Raikkonen (Alfa Romeo)
19. Mick Schumacher (Haas)
20. Nikita Mazepin (Haas)
*Bottas has a 3-place penalty for an error in practice
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.