Valtteri Bottas secured victory in the sprint qualifying at Monza, but his engine penalties mean second-placed Max Verstappen will start the Italian Grand Prix from pole position.
The Red Bull driver will be joined on the front row by Daniel Ricciardo, who crossed the line in third, ahead of teammate Lando Norris.
Bottas got away well at the front of the field, but Lewis Hamilton was slow off the line, allowing Verstappen and the McLarens to move ahead of the reigning champion.
The safety car was deployed on the opening lap when Pierre Gasly clipped the back of one of Ricciardo, breaking his front wing before running wide and colliding with the barrier.
His teammate, Yuki Tsunoda also picked up front wing damage when he banged wheels with Robert Kubica, leaving the Alfa Romeo driver having to fight his way out of the gravel.
Antonio Giovinazzi picked up a couple of places during the race to ensure he’ll start his home race from seventh, while Nicholas Latifi came 14th, qualifying ahead of teammate George Russell.
Provisional spring qualifying result:
1 Valtteri Bottas (Mercedes)
2. Max Verstappen (Red Bull)
3. Daniel Ricciardo (McLaren)
4. Lando Norris (McLaren)
5. Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes)
6. Charles Leclerc (Ferrari)
7. Carlos Sainz (Ferrari)
8. Antonio Giovinazzi (Alfa Romeo)
9. Sergio Perez (Red Bull)
10. Lance Stroll (Aston Martin)
11. Fernando Alonso (Alpine)
12. Sebastian Vettel (Aston Martin)
13. Esteban Ocon (Alpine)
14. Nicholas Latifi (Williams)
15. George Russell (Williams)
16. Yuki Tsunoda (AlphaTauri)
17. Nikita Mazepin (Haas)
18. Robert Kubica (Alfa Romeo)
19. Mick Schumacher (Haas)
Pierre Gasly (AlphaTauri)