Max Verstappen will start the French Grand Prix from pole position after getting the better of Lewis Hamilton in qualifying at Paul Ricard.
The Dutchman was 0.25s ahead of the reigning champion, with Valtteri Bottas alongside Sergio Perez on the second row.
Yuki Tsunado starts at the back of the grid after a mistake early in qualifying, as the Japanese rookie spun on a kerb before colliding with the barrier, resulting in the session being red flagged.
The delay meant Lance Stroll was late setting a time, and missed out again when Mick Schumacher slammed into the barrier in the final minute of Q1, cutting the session short.
The German had done enough to make it through to Q2, but the damage to his Haas meant he was unable to play a further part in qualifying.
Carlos Sainz recent strong form at Ferrari continues as he starts fifth, two places ahead of teammate Charles Leclerc, while Pierre Gasly is in sixth, despite having his first flying lap in Q3 erased for a track limits violation.
Provisional qualifying classification:
1 Max Verstappen (Red Bull)
2. Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes)
3. Valtteri Bottas (Mercedes)
4. Sergio Perez (Red Bull)
5. Carlos Sainz (Ferrari)
6. Pierre Gasly (AlphaTauri)
7. Charles Leclerc (Ferrari)
8. Lando Norris (McLaren)
9. Fernando Alonso (Alpine)
10. Daniel Ricciardo (McLaren)
11. Esteban Ocon (Alpine)
12. Sebastian Vettel (Aston Martin)
13. Antonio Giovinazzi (Alfa Romeo)
14. George Russell (Williams)
15. Mick Schumacher (Haas)
16. Nicholas Latifi (Williams)
17. Kimi Raikkonen (Alfa Romeo)
18. Nikita Mazepin (Haas)
19. Lance Stroll (Aston Martin)
20. Yuki Tsunodo (AlphaTauri)